TSgt James J. Thede
Updated as often as I can, see whats new at the site.
PARARESCUE RELATED SITES
While you're there, check out their new Photo album. They have some good pictures!
DIVE MED TECH
||Back in the "good old days", it was simply called the tryout. I tried out when I was in basic training back in 1984. A lot has changed since then. It was known back then as the OL-J. We lived in old wooden barracks that had to remain spotless. Now, students stay in the same dorms as the basic trainees. Also, we now have both Pararescue trainees and Combat Control trainees going through the OL-H. Listed below are the various requirements for the PAST test and also information regarding physical evaluations, minimum requirements, etc.
Prerequisites for entering the Career Field:
- Be a volunteer
- Be a US Citizen
- Be less than 34 years of age
- Be a High School graduate or have a GED
- Able to obtain a SECRET security clearance
- Successful completion of the PAST test
- Minimum physical profile (PULHES) of 111111 (no problems)
- Initial flying class III physical qualification of aircrew, parachute, and maritime diving duty
- Strength aptitude standard (X factor) of "P" for retention of
- Physiological training qualification for aircrew
- High altitude high opening (HAHO) parachuting qualification
- Qualification for aviation service
- Volunteer for hazardous duty, parachute duty, and diving duty
THE PAST TEST
UPDATED! (Again) This is the latest information regarding the PAST test. There is now one PAST test for all personnel that desire to enter the OL-H Indoctrination course.
- Underwater swim: 25 Meters 1 breath (Pass/Fail) - 5 min rest
- Surface swim: 1000 Meters 26 minute max time - 30 min rest
- Run: 1.5 miles 10:30 max time - 15-30 min rest
- Chin ups: 8 in 1 minute - 3 min rest
- Sit ups: 50 in 2 minutes - 3 min rest
- Push ups: 50 in 2 minutes - 3 min rest
- Flutter kicks: 50 in 2 minutes - Test complete
Since a lot of you cross trainees have questions I will put some general information here. This should answer most of you questions.
Basic Retraining Procedures:
No Special duty application is required. Personnel assigned overseas are not permitted to formally apply for PJ/CCT retraining until they are reassigned back to a CONUS assignment in their Control AFSC. However, they may submit a letter of intent to their MPF and include the following information:
- Name, Rank, SSN
- Ratings from last 3 EPR's ( no less than an overall 3 rating on each EPR)
- Unit and MPF message address, voice and FAX DSN numbers
- Gaining unit and MPF message address, voice and FAX DSN number (if known). If this information is not known at time of letter submission, please forward information as soon as it is made available.
- Current mailing address
- PAST test results.
- AFSC Desired. Member cannot list PJ as first choice and CCT as second choice or Vice Versa. Member's assigned overseas where medical facilities exist must complete a flying class III physical no more than 3 months prior to DEROS. This will help expedite members retraining application once assigned in the CONUS. Physical must be completed IAW message in April (FSO should have a copy) regarding class III physicals for PJ/CCT. Upon receipt of this letter of intent, the servicing MPF will transmit a message relaying members intent and information to HQAETC/TTRL with info copies to HQ AETC/DDPAET, members gaining MAJCOM, unit, and MPF.
- For CONUS applicants the following info is required:
- PAST test results
- Copy of complete flying class III physical. FSO must complete physical IAW PJ/CCT message. FSO will send original physical to HQ AETC/SGPS for review approval. AETC will put approval stamp on physical and return to member's FSO. Once physical is returned to FSO, a copy of the original physical should be made and attached to retraining application. Do not send original physicals with application. AF Form 1042, by itself and without stamp, is not acceptable.
- Copies of last 3 EPR's (same as above)
- Records review listing
Your records will be screened by MPF as follows:
- Member may apply regardless of the retraining in or out objectives listed for their AFSC.
- Ensure member picks either PJ OR CCT
- Ensure member completes PAST and results are documented on letterhead from administering unit. Members are encouraged to contact nearest PJ/CCT unit to have test administered. If PJ/CCT unit is over 100 miles from members unit, the test can be administered by member's immediate supervisor.
- Ensure no lower than a 3 overall for any EPR
- Ensure member meets eligibility requirements outlined in AFI 36-2626
- Ensure MPF and FSO work closely with candidate to complete flying class III physical in a timely manner. Do it early!
- MPF will forward completed retraining application to embers MAJCOM for validation of retraining eligibility.
- MAJCOM reviews application and updates AFTMS and forwards application to HQ AETC/DPPEC, Randolph AFB TX 78150-5001
- HQ AETC/DPPEC will review, log-in, and forward application to HQ AETC/TTRL for approval/dissapproval
- HQ AETC/TTRL will provide message traffic on all approved applications to members unit and MPF scheduling member for the 10 week Pararescue (L3AQR1T231-000)/CCT (L3AQR1C231-000) indoctrination course at Lackland AFB Tx. Message will include class, fund cite, and uniform requirements information. Disapproved applications will be returned with letter of explanation.
- Members must stay in shape physically and be prepared mentally for 10 weeks of calisthenics, running, swimming, underwater confidence training, weight training, dive physics, metrics, and medical terminology academics.
- If member successfully completes the PJ/CCT indoctrination course, further instructions for pipeline training will be forwarded to members MPF by 342 TRS/CTF VIA AFTMS. Members who are eliminated from course for medical reasons or standards failure will be handled on a case by case basis concerning second attempts at completing indoctrination course. Members who self-eliminate from training will not be re-considered for further retraining into the PJ or CCT AFSC's.
Members eliminated from indoctrination training will return to home unit with an AETC form 125A, record of administrative training action. The 125A will provide reasons as to why member was eliminated and may indicate instructions for future consideration to attend training. 125A should be filed in members retraining file.
E-mail me if you have questions.
I will post changes and updates as applicable.